As dog lovers, we would like to spoil our furry members of the family all the time. Especially when it comes to sharing the things we love together. Unfortunately, not everything that’s good for us is good for our pets also. Listed below is a series of foods to eliminate your dogs.
1. Chocolate (& Caffeine) – Now even if you have never had a dog of your own you likely know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. What you may not know is that this also extends to coffee and caffeine. All of these items come from cacao seeds, which contain methylxanthines. They should be kept far away from your pets.
2. Grapes and Raisins – This one might not be widely known, and that might be a consequence of the reason behind it being unknown as well, but grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. It is ideal to refrain from giving both of them to your dog at all.
3. Salt – When consumed in large quantities, salt can cause pets to have excessive thirst and urination. This may result in severe dehydration and even sodium ion poisoning, so it’s best to restrict the salty snacks that you give your dogs. Some common salty snacks to watch out for can include pretzels, chips, popcorn etc..
4. Bread – This common table food may cause bloating and twisting in your dogs stomach. This extends to all kinds of bread, from chopped to baked. Also, when eating raw dough, the ethanol produced in the yeast may cause your dog to become drunk. Obviously, you don’t want that so you’re likely to want to keep all forms of bread from your pups.
5. Bones – Dogs are famously known for their love of bones, however, giving your dogs bones in the table can be very harmful to them. Certain bones like chicken and ribs are prone to breaking off easily. This can do damage to your own dogs throat going down and even choke them. The bones may also splinter off at any point going down, possibly damaging their insides and their stomachs. It is best to only give your dogs bones that were made specifically for chewing on, like the kind you can find in your neighborhood pet store.